Crying is cool. It's a way for you to show your emotions without having the burden of speaking actual words. I cry a lot and there's nothing weird about that at all. I AM WELL ADJUSTED.
I got the inspiration for this essay last weekend when I went to Catalina for my birthday. I woke up early one morning, walked to the harbor and drank some coffee while I looked at boats. And then I started crying. Not because I was sad, but because I was so happy. Most of the time I don't cry because of sad things, I cry because of happy awesome things, or because of extremely beautiful things, or things that make me emotional. I can assure you that I am fine and more than okay with my super power of being able to cry at literally anything. I'm actually working on a comic book starring Weeping Woman which is based loosely on my life, please don't steal that idea.
I was born with a blocked tear duct. That means that when I was born I couldn’t physically cry out of one eye. Luckily the doctors were able to fix it, and even luckier for my friends and family I haven’t stopped crying since.
Here’s some stuff that’s made me cry:
- Kelly Clarkson's entire album, Breakaway.
- When I was 11 and my parents told me they were going to cut my hair in my sleep if I didn't go get it cut at the salon the next day.
- Literally anything my little brother does ever.
- At the end of Beyonce's B'Day concert video when she starts singing Irreplaceable and the crowd sings with her and she's smiling like an angel.
- When I got to summer camp for the first time.
- When I got home from summer camp for the first time.
- When my best friend told me she's getting married.
- When I drove into the state of California for the first time.
- When I got into my LA apartment for the first time and saw how small it was and remembered that I didn't have a job yet and that I was going to have to eat Chef Boyardee to save money for the next two months.
- When I totaled my car and my Dad wasn't mad at me and only cared that I was safe.
- Like 4 episodes of House Hunters.
- Right now, I don't know why.
- When my sister reminded me that I didn't get her anything for her birthday last year.
- When my friend Jeremy introduced me to his blond friend and I was insulted because he knows I have negative feelings towards men with blond hair.
- When my boss tells me I'm doing a good job.
- When I finished my first half marathon.
- When it's my birthday.
- When it's not my birthday.
- When I hear people talk about things that make them happy.
- When I stopped eating carbs.
- The Babysitter's Club book where Claudia moves away.
- The opening scene of Aladdin when he gives his bread that he stole to a hungry kid.
- Vloggers who lives I'm emotionally invested in. (Julien Solomita)
- Marley and Me.
- When I'm hungry.
- When people text me to tell me that they enjoy my writing.
- Podcasts, specifically This American Life.
- The sound of babies laughing.
- Jim and Pam's Wedding.
- When I ate an entire cantaloupe and my whole body broke out in hives.
- Videos of formerly deaf people hearing for the first time.
- When my dad lost an actual frog in the garage and told me and my sister we had to find it.
- During my morning commute.
- When I started eating carbs again.
I promise I'm fun to be around.